Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 97: September 8th 2009, Akela to Mile 66 on I-10 (35 mi)

11 miles short of my destination I intended. 5 miles short of my minimum miles per day. Man I feel like shit. Honestly, I didn't take the day seriously from the start, so I feel like I got what I deserved.

I didn't feel like getting up at 630 so I slept in for about another hour. By the time I got a move on it was about 740. 18 miles to Deming, I didn't think it would be bad. The road, NM-549, fucking sucks and it took lots of effort to push on. Early on, it wore me out quick. Sore legs, knees in particular and a terrible aching back. It was a stinging paion in the area between my spine and the lower part of my left shoulder blade. Always in that same spot. Besides the soreness on my shoulder, the pain made me so angry I had to literally throw my bag off my back. By the time I got to Deming it was 1110. The sun was picking up and I had to take shelter. I was on the road again at about 2, but the sun hadn't let up by then at all.

I took refuge in the shade again untill 330 but it was still hot. This time, I couldn't relax. I just walked. Fucking walking takes forever. By 530 I only covered 3 miles. The road was rough, the sun was hot. But then in the distance I noticed a storm coming from the northwest. I could see lightning and it made for some awesome views. I couldn't help but watch. I took some pictures, decided I needed to bust ass. A headwind from the but none do justice to the true beauty I witnessed. I really do believe that New Mexico is the land of enchantment. I got back on the highway and storm was pushing real hard but I was pissed and determined. Its dark now, 8:04PM. I just got in and Im worn out and dissappointed. It would be nice if I made it out of New Mexico by Friday, I still have more than 70 miles to the border. No messing around tomorrow, if my body cooperates that is.

1 comment:

  1. My real name is John, I'm 29 and I live in Galveston texas which is south of Houston about forty min. It's a lil island with a decent population. It's a tourest town. Last year we got hit by that hurrican Ike. I've lived here for about 15 years and im burnt out. My family was in the military so i've traveled the world seeing thing's most american kid's only read in text book's and seen on national geographic. Such as yerself im also a longboarder with dream's. I've been following online, several long distance skaters such as Adam colton, Rob thompson (that man is awesome) and a few other's. I found yer site when i was learning of Serge berig several months ago. Unfortunatly Serge stopped his trip due to whatever complications he was haveing. After learning of all you guy's and reading your diary's online ya'll have given me hope and a goal in life i would like to take part in and that is to skate across america. My plan is to start from Blaine Washington to Key Largo Florda unsupported. Right now im in a bind and i can't start my trip untill next summer possibly the following at latest. Got court shit (hopefully i dont get probation), and mostly i wanna save some money for spare decks and equipment in emergency, ect, ect. I'm also trying to study the route i wanna take with the best views. I am honored to support you bro. You'r doing something 99% of people would consider impossible. And I totally look up to you for that. And trust me man I don't look up to many people at all. If you got a myspace page you can look me up at www.myspace.com/exordiumdeath add me if ya want. I will say you are surely getting some good pics of you'r travels. anyways enough with all that. Just remember when you'r down or exhausted there's people out there that support you totally and I enjoy studying others great travel and achevements. Take you'r time and enjoy your trip most of all be safe. Peace be with you all the way.

    ReplyDelete