Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 100: September 11th, Duncan to Safford (43 mi)

If I said that today was the best skate I have had yet would it be too much? Maybe, but who gives a shit. Today was perfect. Absolutely perfect. Take the Artesia-Cloudcroft day and multiply that by three, then take that and multiply it by two just because I'm in Arizona and thats how good I feel.

I guess Arizona doesn't like daylight savings time so I got into another time zone. The time here is the same as Pacific time; the sun rises at 530 not 630 so I was up and going at 6 after having a Snickers bar for breakfast. The day didn't really start easy. It was good 10 mile uphill skate/walk to about the Graham county line. But then...oh man and then, haha....man

A tailwind slightly hit and I pushed down and I really felt the energy translate into cruises. The hills down and the smooth roads, the mountains and rock formations. It was so beautiful. "Aaarrriiizzzooonnnaaa!!" The road, well, I had it almost all to myself. I don't know how fast I was going, not fast enough where I had to carve or stress but not slow enough where I had to put my foot down once. For 10 miles I just stood, watching the mountains pass around me, feeling the energy, the peace. I had to stop. It was only 917. I sat atop a little hill by the road, turned my ipod off, listened and looked. Wow. That was the only thought that came to me then, just wow. Every struggle I have had last week in New Mexico was eliminated at that moment. Every negative thought was canceled out at that point. Every thought of just quitting after the stresses I had to endure for the past week, fuck it, these last 10 miles just 10 miles changed it all. I remembered why I was skating. I sat and ate some peanuts for about 20 minutes, so happy. And it didn't end there.

I kept cruising when I got back on the road. All 20 miles left to Safford I was in awe, just going down and not a thought on the mind. Mental cleansing. Miles, who's counting them? The mile markers passed too fast. I got to Safford at exactly 1123. I'm so happy but after this righteous mental rejuvenation, I need physical rejuvenation. At the chamber of commerce I asked for a cheap motel around and the kind lady guided me to Budget Inn. And the kind Indian (not Native American) owner let me stay for two nights for $35.

Oh man. Peace entails so many aspects and everyday I get a little taste of it. No doubt this trip is an emotional roller coaster at times but it all happens for the best, this I'm sure of. It's days like this, that make it happen. My stuff is in the room. I'm gonna find a ride back up the mountain and do it all over again.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like arizona is doing you good bro, thats the spirit. keep on trucking and god speed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100 days of skating is awesome fella! Stoked you had such a day.

    ReplyDelete