Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Day 87 Part I: August 29th 2009, Lamesa to Seminole (44mi)

What a full exhausting skate it was. Had another cold night. Shivering, I kept waking up. I didn't want to get up at 630, it was too cold. I stayed underneath my half ass cover until I tended to my skate at about 730. 44 miles to Seminole and nothing in between. I prepared for the one shot.

Early on I was making good headway. The road wasn't ideal but the cool weather in the mid 60s helped. Average speed: 10 mi/hr and thats mostly kicking on flatland. But then the sun came out in full force by 10 and it began to slow me down. By 11 I had covered the first 31 miles with little problems. Just a couple of 15 minute water breaks. I expected an arrival at Seminole by noon, but that wasn't the case.

At 1115 I started feeling real dizzy. I put my board up and started walking and it all started becoming hazy to me from then on. I remember collapsing by the Seminole electric station. When I opened my eyes again it was noon. I had aout a half liter left from the two I began with. I decided to push some more. Two more miles and I again I began feeling dehydrated. Again, I put my board up and walked with my head hung low. I saw a house a little further up on the road and decided to reload on water there. It was no more than a half mile but it felt like an eternity. By the time I was walking up on the driveway I was down on my knees asking a little Amish looking girl "water, please". Immediately she brought an cold Dasani which I destroyed in one gulp. I laid in the shade for 20 minutes or so then left with 20 more ounces. By then I was still 10 miles from Seminole and decided I should play it a little smarter. I took refuge underneath a tree and slept until 130. When I woke up I was so hungry, but I had to keep moving.

A second wind came upon me and I slowly pushed the last 10 miles to Seminole, arriving at 235. I treated myself to my favorite sandwich in the world. A footlong turkey from Subway on wheat, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, ranch, oil and vinegar. Add to that a medium drink (which I refilled about 5 different times), 3 double chocolate cookes and of course Mrs Vickies Jalapeno chips. Stuffed, I slept some more until about four. Then it was time to find a spot to camp. I walked outside of Seminole to more shitty Texas roads until a Mexican in a red truck pulled over and asked me if I needed a ride. Get me the fuck out of this state, I thought. I hopped in and off we rode, 30 miles to Hobbs, New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment