Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 102: September 13th 2009, Safford to Bylas (33 or 43 mi, most prob 33)

Ok, Im starting to get sketched out. Today was too easy. And then something wierd, 10 miles - I don't know what happened to 10 miles. They just went missing. I feel like all this goodness is going to have to be balanced out by something real shitty soon. I just feel it. Its 953 in the fucking am and Im done for the day. It started with me geting up at my Budget Inn room at about 6. Had an apple and a banana and checked the weather channel; 40% rain. I left at 630 and the first mile marker I saw was 338.

Really a nice two nights of rest. I felt well balanced when I started the day. I was clean, its real good to be clean. I took care of the fungus on my toe that insists on coming back and bought some medicine for the tinea on my shoulders. I updated the blog with all the pictures and it felt good to catch up in that regard. I did nothing but lay in bed and stuff myself with food until I couldn't move and in 2 nights I took about five shits (sometimes on the road I can go for about 5 days without one shit, but I only have one meal a day, sometimes even none). Anyway I was thinking about how I wished I could watch Ace Ventura last night and while flipping through the channels, the first movie was on! I went to sleep a happy man. Oh. and I also Wal-Marted it and reloaded on DEET, denatured alcohol for the stove and a couple of packets of Knorr dried food.

So, first mile marker 338. Road was sort of shitty in Safford but it improved after Thatcher (which is really a part of Safford). Again a slight tailwind was at my back and a very gentle slope down. I still had to kick but every kick translated into good pushes. It was only 724 and I found myself at mile marker 325. The point is the next mile marker I came upon was 314. It was a glimpse from far and I didn't really believe my shitty vision. I got closer and closer and it still said 314. What the hell? Was I really skating that fast or did I just get telported by aliens? I still didn't believe it and thought that the Arizona DOT must have messed up, so I waited until the next mile marker...313. I was so confused so I took a break and decided to check my map. Safford was at mile marker 340, that was something I remembered. The next town was Fort Thomas and according to my map it was 23 miles from Safford which was supposed to be at 317, I know I hadn't passed it. Since 10 miles dissappeared it should be at 307. Sure enough it was and it was 8 something when I got there. Even more confused, I kept going. My destination for the day was Geronimo and it was 5 miles up. I got there at 840 and posed to the sign screaming "Geeeee-rr-o-nimoooo!" with two thumbs up. The town was deserted and less than a quarter mile long. Im not going to sleep here I thought. Off to Bylas and at exactly 9 I was there, the first town in the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation. I really don't want know what to do with myself.

I plan on getting into the reservation and trying to live amongst the ntives for a few if Im lucky enough for them to accept me. The librarian at Duncan told me I would get shot and the woman at the Safford Chamber of Commerce told me how messed up the Indians are, and recommended I stay away. Fuck that, Ill find out for myself.

One more thing. I keep meaning to mention this but keep forgetting. On the second leg of my Arkansas skate, as I was skating on the empty road I came upon a Corrections Facility van with two prisoners picking up trash on the road. When one of them saw me, he stared at me with disbelief, tapped the other on the shoulder and pointed at me. They both couldn't believe their eyes. Freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment