Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 96: September 7th 2009, Las Cruces to Akela (40 mi)

The days get longer and longer, rougher and rougher, tiring and more exhausting. Im really getting spent on this journey, my body refuses to give. Nonetheless, I accomplished my minimum 40 miles today, though not without a struggle.

Eric kindly let me stay this morning until I got everything I needed in order. When I left it was an overcast, cool morning and it was about 8ish. Eric lived right off Picacho which took me straight to the interstate. But I was stressin all about the interstate; I really didn't want to take a long detour and I really hoped I wouldn't get pulled over. 5 miles into the interstate, not even 1 cop. Maybe it was because it was Labor Day, maybe because I got lucky. All in all I was stressin because of the wrong reasons. The shoulder on the interstate was terribly rough, of course not Texas rough, but rough enough where most energy was exerted on pushing. I doubt I got over 8 mi/hr today and I did work for that little speed.

At the exit for Las Cruces Airport, I saw a road that ran parallel to the interstate. I checked my map and it turned out to be NM-549 and it supposedly ran all the way to Deming. I got all excited having this empty road to myself but it was no smooth road. I would have gave it a 6/10 in rideability (Texas chipseal of course getting a 0/10 and I-10 being a 4/10). NM-549 disappeared for a bit and took me back onto I-10. It would start again, according to the signs in 10 miles. It seems like all traffic was divereted onto this part of I-10 because of a Border Inspection Station. Looking as suspicious as I do, I was surprised to pass with no problems.

"Hey guy, whats your deal? Where are you skating to?"
"San Diego"
"Thats a long way. Are you a US citizen?"
"Yes sir"
"What do you have in your bag, your stuff?"
"Just my stuff"
"Good luck"

And that was that. It was about 1120 when I got to exit 116, where NM-549 would start again. There I found an abandoned building I would use to relax in until the sun went down a bit. I got back on the road at 4, but a strong headwind had picked up by then. It fought hard against me but I had 14 miles to go. At 540 I finally arrived at Akela, which reminded me of a town built for filming movie scenes, with all its fake 'buildings'. I intended to skate to Deming but my back and shoulders are really really hurting. I need to lay out. And I did, again underneath some mesquite bushes.

2 comments:

  1. seems like you get pulled over everyday. must get irratateing. but cop's only do it for your safty. hell if i saw some dude out in the middle of desert skateing i would check on them too. wouldnt you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. peyote...our minds are in the same place brother. and i didn't get pulled over it was just a checkpoint on the highway so its all good. and ill stay hydrated, i promise.

    man i dont even know who you are but i appreciate the continued comments and support very much. i feel the love, right back at you brother

    omar

    ReplyDelete