Friday, November 13, 2009

Day 158: November 9th 2009. First Night Homeless

John made it clear to me the night before that because he was a guest at the house he was staying at he couldn't promise another night. Six people already lived in the two bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment of which I felt a very unwelcome vibe from two. The theme of the house was an 1800s style mustache, so long, it was made to curl up. At least one of them rocked it as a sign of arrogance, I could tell, the worst quality a human could possess.

The next morning came and I was awaken by the proximity of traffic to the apartment, as if I was in Cairo again. It was about 630. John invited me to come check out Point Loma Nazarene University which was facing the open ocean; I couldn;t refuse. The 10 minute walk up the hill was tiring but at the top I witnessed my first swell since January. It seemed small at first but then I looked to the left and Boom! Fuck yeah, solid head high waves. I started skipping fast towards it and there was about 10-15 guys on each of the three peaks. I watched for the next three hours. Surf, Im comin to you, but for now Im here. As I watched, John texted me and told me that one of the roommates is brining my stuff, a good hint it was time for me to go. At 3 I said my goodbyes to John and was on my own. For the rest of the day I would be looking for a job, homeless services and a corner to sleep in.

So I wandered the streets of San Diego, applying in Subways, and different restaurants. Its not like I came here without a plan. I applied to every single microbiology position I came across in Phoenix. Not a single one has responded. If this is what God intended for me, the it what it is and like I said before I accept that fate. I sat on the corner of 5th and Market for a while before a San Diego ambassador told me to leave and so I did. While I was headed back to the bay, I came across a corner lined up with at least 30 people laying out. That was where I would spend my night. And as I was walking up a bunch of college kids came up to everybody and offered sandwiches and water. They also came to sit and talk. I got to spend my time with Jaime and Ni Mo a sophomore and a junior at UCSD in La Jolla. Very kind people, they were. I went to sleep at the corner of A street and State.

No comments:

Post a Comment