Thursday, June 4, 2009

the day before

Tomorrow I leave. I have been planning this trip for a month, now.It came to me when I was sitting smoking and I just google directions from Memphis to San Diego. And then I saw a link that said driving or walking, so I chose walking and then I thought, Im going to skate to San Diego. So here I am, about a month later and about to leave tomorrow. I have come a long way from Rhode Island to Memphis. I worked here and saved some money but it is time to continue the journey out west

This is what I am taking with me

  • Black Diamond Sphynx Backpack 37L
  • Eureka Solitaire Tent
  • ALPS Sleeping Mat Thick
  • Mexican Blanket
  • 2 Yard Ghanaian cloth for towel
  • 1 pair of pants
  • 1 tunic top
  • 2 pairs of boardshorts
  • 2 Hanes cloth Tshirts
  • 1 long sleeve shirt
  • 2 sets of bearings, skate tool, extra bushings and nuts
  • Swiss army knife
  • Leatherman multitool
  • Pepsi can Stove and fuel
  • Food for 8 days which is alot, but only going to decrease and some other items in the picture.


Of course Im not going to forget my awesome skateboard. A Sector 9 Sidewinder Series skateboard with Gullwing Double Trucks, recently upgraded with Sector 9 Race Formula 77mm wheels. This is my piece of magic.

Im carrying about 25 lbs on my back not including my Canon Rebel XT, and a bottle of water. I have more than 1800 miles to skate but I have all the time in the world to do it.

What brought me here?
Well that is a long story, but basically I got kicked out of the Peace Corps after 3 months and I couldn't settle at home. I traveled around and ended up in Memphis living there for 5 months. I wasn't living an exciting life and I couldn't do it and I had to get out. I need an ocean and I need to surf. SoCal should do for a while.

Im scared of course, Im going solo, but Im excited and so anxious. Tomorrow is the day and Im ready, I hope you can join me on my journey.


2 comments:

  1. Wow Omar I am so excited for you! Do you remember me, we hung out with Ni Mo last night? I cant wait to read all of your blogs =D This is so amazing, God protect you!
    Jamie

    ReplyDelete