Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 46: July 20nd 2009, Easy Money (Austin, TX)

Tommy and Dorian weren't there and so the session was kind of hectic and we ended up splitting into two groups. I stayed back with the second group and hit West Ave once more. After West Ave, we usually hit a 7 eleven on the way to the second spot. It was about 11Pm and when our group got there, the first were on their way out. Every time I have gone, there would always be a bum or two hanging out there, wanting to conversate with you. That day was different. A tall white guy in a backwards new era hat comes up to me in a dirty wifebeater.

"I can't believe these kids man, they thought we were going to jack them, fucking idiots", shaking his head an anger and looking at me then down
"What?"
"These kids, I don't know if they are your friends, we asked them to roll our beer to our hotel on their boards for a $100 and they thought we were going to rob them"
"Oh no shit?"
"I'll give you a $100 if you transport our beer to the hotel on your board"

'The offer sounded too good to be true, but I could easily take this guy if I had to', I said to myself, so I told him fine

Inside the 7 eleven, I see my friend Nate helping the tall white guys friend with the beer, so I went inside. The white guy's friend was a Mexican in a wife beater and he looked drunk enough to make bad decisions but not drunk enough to be acting rowdy.

"So whats the deal man? Let me see that money" tapping his arm and pointing to his pocket
"You're worried too? We won't hurt you man"
"I'm not worried about that, I want to see if you got the money, or else Im skating"

The white guy was stacking 6 cases of 24 bottles on the counter. The Mexican took me outside, stuck his hand in his right pocket and pulled out a wad of 20s. I didn't need to see more. So I put my hand on his money telling him I didn't need to see more, we could take care of business later.
"Alright man, we have a deal"

I realized I couldn't fit all the beer on board alone, this was going to be a team effort. He was unrolling his cash now and counting out the 20s.

"Here's a hundred man" I wanted to keep it to myself, but there was Chase, a friend of Nate's, standing next to me, so I tried my luck at more cash.
"What about my friend man? He needs some too"
Without any hesitation he handed me 5 more 20s "Heres another hundred man, and tell your friends they are fucking idiots"
"Haha, fuckin word man, I will, they are. For two hundred dollars Ill roll your beer anywhere in town."
"It just a couple of blocks down the road"
"Even better"

Four guys, me Nate, Chase and one of their friends ended up rolling about 12 cases of beer to his hotel that night. I split the $200 amongst us so I ended up with on $50, but we all definitely had big ass smiles on our faces and I know that I needed money badly.

The smiles faded quick when we got to our 3rd spot and there were two cops talking to a couple of guys from the first group. We decided to turn onto a side street and watch from a dark alley. Later we found that those same two guys Adam and Justin received tickets for skating on the sidewalk. We ended the session earlier than usual that night, so me and the three beer transporters stopped for a drink.
Tomorrow would be my exam at Jimmy Johns

No comments:

Post a Comment