Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 29: Saturday July 3rd 2009, Austin: The First Day

I called Chris but he didn't pick up. I called John M and he was in a movie. So Adam it had to be and how glad I was it was. He met me half an hour later on MLK and Neuces in his green Chevy Trailblazer.

Adam was gay, which I was cool with but still had some reservations on staying with him, only because of my ignorance. His body, the way he talked and walked reminded me of my Asian friend Jenna. He looked a little Asian and I came to find out it was because he had some indigenous Mexican blood in him and that made him that much cooler to me, also because of my ignorance. I met his roommates Carlita an all around fine woman, and her boyfriend John S. who reminded me Sean Trees. That night, we waited on Carla's cousin who was coming to spend the weekend in Austin from Brownsville, Texas which was four hours south, on the border with Mexico.

When the doorbell rang I caught a glimpse of him and I couldn't help but smile. He reminded me of my uncle Wyle in RI except he wasn't fat. His deep Mexican voice cracked me up, the stereotypical sound and look of Mexican guys in Mexican soap operas. He dressed of what reminded me exactly as the guy clubbers in Spain with his pumas, jeans and expensive shirt. Jamie, was the definition of a man, the definition and picture you would see in a book. When he got settled we had some parties to tend to. I only feel the need to say this because at my first one I met Neil, another man from the South County of Little Rhody. I must say that seeing him gave that Rhode Island look all away. He was one of the younger SK guys and he filmed all the videos for the Old Mountain Field crew. We knew the same people and he lived also off of Allen Ave, that hill I miss bombing so much.

My first day in Austin, bringing back those good times and creating even better ones. Everybody said this place would be awesome and for the rest of that night it never fell short. On the way to every party there was at least one out every seven houses with people standing outside drinking beers and having a good time and not once did I ever see the cops pull up and bust one down. That was the spirit of Austin, the love Austin shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment