Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 81: August 23rd 2009, The Long Hard Road out of Austin

I have been having a surge of emotions since yesterday. The first is anxiety. I am growing more and more fearful of hot, dry, barren west Texas and the desert. I have to escape the heat as much as I can, so therefore I am adapting in two new ways. The first is that instead of carrying one 1L bottle, I am carrying 3.5L. This is a significant weight addition, but with constant daily 100+ tempratures, and a barren desert, it becomes a matter of survival and not comfort. The second is that I plan on doing much more night skating so I have bought a reflector for this purpose.

The second feeling is a feeling of sadness. I am so sad to leave this awesome fucking city. Austin, Texas is a beautiful place in every sense of the word. The people, specifically the ladies, are gorgeous. Young beautiful women are everywhere. Everybody here is so cool, open and accepting. There is a great loving vibe in this city that makes it like no other place I have been. Austin sneeks up on you. There is always something to do and always somebody new to meet and before you know it you end up spending two months here. But I have no regrets, I just wish I could take this place with me. With an ocean Austin would be the perfect place to be and this is why I must leave.

The feeling of genuine friendships here is so awesome its like leaving family behind. And I see Chris Collins, aka Pepsi, as nothing less than a brother. For the past two months I have had the great fortune of living with one of the kindest, most generous, most respectful and coolest people I have ever known. I feel so blessed that it was in my destiny to end up with him.

I have been watching the Young Guns surf movies and looking at some pictures of waves I brought with me to remind me of the goodness that awaits me on the other side and I am anxious to leave. It is depressing to leave this awesome city but I remind myself constantly that with the end of one adventure is the beginning of a new one. I wonder whats in store for me next.

P.S. I erasing the subtitle of this blog. I just feel that its not really how I feel and until I can word it properly I am going to leave it blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment